Friday, January 9, 2015

Photography Friday

Sophomore year of high school, I took a manual photography class. I'd always loved photography, but the class taught me that the art consists of so much more than just pointing a camera. After completing a roll of film for an assignment, I was able to develop my film in a dusty darkroom built in a school bathroom. As I slowly learned techniques for printing photographs, I decided the art of photography (to me, at least) lies in the editing process. I find editing to be especially important when, as a good friend says, "any Johnny can grab a DSLR and call himself a photographer."

Because of that class, I have a profound love of black and white photos. To me, the darkest part of any photo should be black and gradually become lighter.

This is the first picture I printed.


A few years later, and a lot more art theory under my belt, I would not repeat this picture. But, hey, it looks pretty cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment