Friday, January 16, 2015

People of Pakistan




I am a Pakistani-American. Although I was born and raised in the United States, my parents have worked hard to maintain our Pakistani culture. I would like to think that I've experienced as much of the culture as possible, while living on a different continent.

Every three years or so, I am given the opportunity to travel to Pakistan and visit family. On my latest trip, my family took a week traveling into the Karakoram mountain range, where I took the pictures above. The first shows a boy offering horse rides for a small fee near a body of water, and the second is a construction worker taking a break from working on developing roads through the mountains. When I mention the beautiful glaciers and mountains of Pakistan, people are often amazed. My description of the land rarely matches the desert-like images shown in the news.

While I was in Pakistan, I attended an art festival featuring products and traditions from many of the country's regions. The artists behind the work absolutely fascinated me. Using low-tech tools, many artisans sat working all day while befriending all who walked past.

These are a few of the resulting photographs:




No comments:

Post a Comment